Friday, April 3, 2009

Chain Gang #1: Potbelly

Yeahyeahyeah, chainsarethedevil.com, but I thought this might be a good time to expound upon my love for certain restaurants with multiple locations scattered across the United States. And I thought we might cleverly call the series the Chain Gang. OMGPUNZ! So here is entry #1:


Inspired by AH's gentle nudge, I'm going to debut on the PM food blog with a post about my favorite sub shop in the entire universe, Potbelly Sandwich Works (which I incorrectly refer to in the possessive as Potbelly's, just like grandma used to do). The first restaurant started out as an antique shop on Lincoln Avenue in Chicago, and since 2003, Potbelly's has been adding locations both in and outside of Chicagoland. According to their website, the PB's empire currently reaches 12 states and one national capitol.

Anyway, ABOUT the FOOD. Potbelly subs (and acoutrement) are so good, I have been known to drive as many as 30 miles out of the way when a craving hits. Most of the subs are served hot (don't worry, this is no Quizno's, which I loathe and is a whole 'nother story), but a few, like the PBJ and chicken salad, are cold. My favorite is the classic Turkey Breast served with melted swiss, but the perennial favorite, especially for MEAT-LOVIN' MEN, is the Wreck, with salami, roast beef, turkey and ham. They've also got an I-talian with mortadella, capicola, pepperoni and salami. All of it is sliced nice and thin and positively LOADED on the yummy, fresh-baked bread. PB's has only got a few veggie options (including the aforementioned PBJ, which is not just for kids), but those they do offer are d-lish-us, just like the rest of the menu.

Ok, so we've got our meat, and bread (I recommend wheat for the road, of course, for regularity), which is all hunky dory but this kinda sounds like 'Bway, right? So, devastatingly wrong. The thing that sets Potbellies apart are the mmm mmm good fixins that complete your scrumptious sando (I know, right, why aren't I writing ad copy for a living????). Of course, you can choose from the classic lettuce/tomato/onion/pickle/mayo/mustard/oil/vinegar/seasoning, but I heartily recommend the hot pepper mix that keeps me coming back and back and back and back. OMG! They are so good! It's basically a mixture of carrots, cauliflower, red peppers and jalepenos that are more or less "pickled" to make the sandwich pretty darn spicy. But something about this mixture brings out the flavors of the individual elements of your sandwich more than mask them like plain jalepenos tend to do. So pretty much Annie+hot peppers=LURVE.
***WARNING: if you have tastebuds like a baby, these might be too hot. If I were to rate them on a scale of 1 to 7, I'd give them a 6***

BUT IT DOESN'T STOP THERE! In addition to amazing sandwiches and pretty darn good salads (with unconventionalforfastfood yet tasty toppings like artichoke hearts and chick peas), PB's also has to-DIE-for desserts. Think hand-dipped shakes and malts (whuzzat? asked one of my Seattleite friends in college...drinkable Whoppers, I told her) and delectable almost-raw oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I love these cookies so much, I made the cashier bake a little of the next day's dough when they had run out yesterday. I'll wait, I said. They're almost raw anyways.

So there you have it: America's best sandwiches, accompanied by America's best cookies, all for the low price of under $10.

3 comments:

  1. Chains are fabulous because you know exactly what you're getting (paying for. 51.5o doesn't go as far as it used to). I found a chain that is still pretty rare but I think it's gonna be big.

    It's called Fire and Ice, and is along the eastern part of the country. I ate at one in Boston and there is one in Birmingham. The one in Birmingham is across the street and up one block from the Hotel Highland at Five Points South.

    This is a wok style restaurant similar to mongolian grill. You pick out your choice of meat (from fish to poultry to beef to pork to tofu), vegetables, sauce, etc. and can eat it as stir fry or a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the New Orleans Airport you can get incredible beginnets (you know what I mean) including chocolate filled, almond filled, etc. etc. The shops there in the food court area, at the end, next to ben and jerry's. Just make sure you head there right away because they close between 4-5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, those sound like awesome places... would you want to post them in individual posts and tag them so that they're searchable? I'm going to B-ham this week, and that sounds like an amazing treat :)

    ReplyDelete