Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Packable Secrets: Applesauce

By now, the endless run of restaurants is starting to get tiring. For a while, I was able to scrounge apples from the baskets at the front desk of my various hotels, but I know the days are coming when all of those fresh and tasty red delicious apples will turn into the waxy, freezer-burned, mealy nightmares that bring a pained tear to my washington-apple lover's eye. Many of you can turn to bananas as a source of fresh fruit, but since I'm not exactly a fan (read: can't be within 10 feet of a banana without wrinkling my nose) I had to find another option.

Enter: unsweetened applesauce in individual cups.


Leave a little space in your checked bag for these little cups of joy. They require no refridgeration and without the overly-processed taste of most restaurant foods they can save your sanity in an all-fly week. Just remember that since they're over 3 ounces, TSA will freak out if you forget to take one out of your carry-on bag. The concept is easily expandable to dole fruit cups (peaches, pinaples, yum!) and all of these varieties are easily purchased at Target or any other local grocery store while you're traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment