Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cow town's veggie little paradise

Sweet sweet beans and (tempeh) bacon! I think its safe to say that after this job is over (in about 2 weeks thank GOD) I will never again have reason to visit Calgary. Indeed, a town best known for its faux space needle and a yearly event called the stampede was not really of interest for me.

Until I found the Coup. This incredible little restaurant in the trendy 17th avenue neighborhood will require a car to get to (esp if you are staying at the Port of Call Best Western), but just stick it on the central bill and be done with it. Absolutely worth the shabby explanations if you are even asked to explain yourself.

The Coup is a very fine vegetarian and vegan restaurant that I learned about through the WestJet magazine. They have everything you could want, from intensely flavorful appetizers, big bold dark-green salads, and main dishes that leave you absolutely satiated and yet still curious enough to try dessert. I ordered the balsamic vinegar marinaded eggplant dip with house-made lavash and whole wheat focaccia bread. This sent me to a very happy orbit and i felt compelled to finish the entire HUGE bowl and all the dippers. For my main, I had a truffle cream and portobello mushroom pasta dish and a nice local microbrew. With absolutely no room to spare, I decided to go for dessert. Their frangelico chocolate mousse with hazelnuts was effing crazyshit delicous. To sum up, just GO. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment